Several factors can cause advanced bone loss, including:
- Missing teeth for a prolonged time
- Advanced gum disease
- Natural ageing wear and tear
- Traumatic tooth loss experience or an extraction
At your implant consultation, the highly trained dental teams at our practices in Loughborough, Solihull, Malvern and Tamworth will take an x-ray of the mouth to determine your bone levels. If these levels are low, a bone graft may be required before the placement of dental implants. We will always advise our patients on the best course of action.
What Does a Bone Graft Involve?
Here’s what to expect during a bone grafting procedure:
- For maximum comfort, this procedure can be carried out under IV sedation
- The required bone will either come from another site of the mouth or animal/human donor
- The additional bone will then be fixed on the chosen site
- The treated site will be sealed, and following a healing period, the implants will be placed
- There will be some slight discomfort to be expected after a bone graft procedure, but patients can take pain killers to help with this
The full protocol for bone grafting includes:
- Full consultation
- CT scan (if required)
- Bone Grafting (if needed)
- Intravenous sedation (if required)
- Implant placement
- Teeth whitening
- Final restoration
- Oral hygiene programme
- Follow up & maintenance programme
How Much Will A Bone Graft Cost?
The price will vary individually as it will depend on your case and how much work is done. Please do not hesitate to call your nearest Ascent Dental Care practice and book your FREE consultation today!