why do my gums bleed when I brush my teeth?
Have you ever noticed your gums bleeding whilst you brush your teeth? Perhaps they look redder than usual or feel swollen and sensitive? If you’re worried about why this is happening, the common causes of bleeding or sensitive gums include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Using a toothbrush which is too hard
- Being too rough when using dental floss
- Taking certain medicines such as Aspirin or Ibuprofen
- Early-stage gum disease or gingivitis
Bleeding gums and gum disease
Bleeding gums are most commonly caused by a build of plaque and tartar that allows bacteria to grow under and around the gum line. Whilst treatable in its infant stages, a large build-up of bacteria may lead to gum disease, or periodontitis, if not addressed.
Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults which is why our professionals advocate a preventative approach to oral hygiene. This helps to reduce the risk of developing a severe oral health issue over time.
Tips to help bleeding gums
The good news is that, when practising good oral hygiene, you can reduce and prevent further sensitivity and bleeding to keep your smile complete and bright for as long as possible. Here are our tips for a healthy smile:
- Practice a good oral hygiene routine – make sure to brush twice a day and floss once a day
- Avoid smoking – you can always speak to your doctor or dentist for cessation advice
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months – whether this is an electric or traditional toothbrush, it doesn’t matter, as long as you are regularly brushing
- Avoid sugary and processed food and drink – our trained dental hygienists can give you professional dietary advice to help keep your teeth cavity-free
- Visit your dentist – regular check-ups allow your dentist to assess the condition of your teeth and gums and highlight any potential issues before they become severe.
- Visit your hygienist – consider our hygienists your “go-to” for advice from brushing techniques and combatting bad breath to treating your teeth to a professional deep clean.